Habitat & Cultivation : Arjun can be observed across a significant portion of the Indian subcontinent, spanning from Sri Lanka to the foothills of the Himalayas. It flourishes in damp, marshy environments and along riverbanks. Cultivation involves growing the tree from seeds, and the harvesting of bark typically takes place in late winter.
- Triterpenoid saponins
- Cardiac tonic
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Cardiac tonic : Research on arjun in India dates back to the 1930s, and the findings have presented considerable inconsistencies. Some studies propose that it leads to elevated heart rate and blood pressure, while others suggest the opposite. The herb appears to be most beneficial in addressing conditions characterized by insufficient blood supply to the heart, such as ischaemic heart disease and angina. In a clinical trial conducted in India in 2002, 58 male participants with angina were administered arjun. The outcomes were notably favorable, with those receiving arjun reporting a significant reduction in angina symptoms and an enhanced ability to engage in physical exercise.
- Cholesterol : Indian research has demonstrated that arjun reduces blood cholesterol levels.
Traditional & Current Uses
- Traditional heart remedy : Within the realm of Indian herbal medicine, arjun has traditionally been embraced as a cardiac tonic. Its extensive historical usage involves the treatment of heart failure and edema, a condition characterized by the accumulation of fluid in the ankles and legs due to insufficient pumping of the heart.
- Ayurvedic medicine : Ayurvedic practitioners employ arjun to harmonize imbalances arising from an excess of any of the three humors—kapha, pitta, or vata . In the form of a decoction, the bark is administered to address conditions like diarrhea and dysentery. The powdered bark is a component of a traditional Ayurvedic remedy for asthma. Additionally, Ayurveda recommends arjun for addressing issues related to bile ducts, as well as for treating poisoning and scorpion stings.
- Modern heart remedy : Arjun proves advantageous in cases of angina and inadequate coronary circulation. It also provides benefits when there are irregularities in the heart’s rate and rhythm. Through the reduction of blood cholesterol levels, the lowering of blood pressure, and the support of regular heart function, arjun enhances circulatory health and diminishes the likelihood of encountering a severe heart issue.